View Single Post
Old 08-20-2021, 03:50 PM   #6478 (permalink)
1/4atatime
Base Member

Drives: Silver 2018 370z
1/4atatime has a reputation beyond repute1/4atatime has a reputation beyond repute1/4atatime has a reputation beyond repute1/4atatime has a reputation beyond repute1/4atatime has a reputation beyond repute1/4atatime has a reputation beyond repute1/4atatime has a reputation beyond repute1/4atatime has a reputation beyond repute1/4atatime has a reputation beyond repute1/4atatime has a reputation beyond repute1/4atatime has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Bus View Post
Yes, we all know hydraulic steering is better. I posted awhile back, a comparison between my 2017 M2 & 2013 Z, and I preferred the Z's steering as well as a few other things.

Car companies are forced to go hydraulic, because of mpg rating reasons. Especially if they want to include a 6mt into their line up.

Both my cars were/are 6mt, daily drivers and I drive them the same. My Z was stock, with only an axle back exhaust. M2 stock, with only a high flow cat. Please keep in mind, the M2 is faster in every category vs the Z, it's also a slightly larger and more practical car. However I averaged just under 16 mpg on the Z and I'm getting slightly over 18 mpg with the M2. Sizeable difference given the performance/size of each car.

Would I sacrifice 1 mpg on the M2 for hydraulic steering, yes I would. Unfortunatley, car companies can't do this and meet federal mpg guidlines, so something has to go.

Does the M2 steering feel bad? No, not at all, it's just that the Z was better. But the overall balance, handling and speed of the M2, leaves me not concerned about the lack of hydraulic steering. So before getting into a frenzy over the lack of hydraulic steering, let's see how the see Z really performs and drives. We may be pleasantly surprised and I could be back in a Z again.
Fair enough I guess we will see. Also if it's that bad I'd put money on it that it wouldn't be too difficult to swap since people have the VR30 motor in the Z and kept the hydraulic steering. Another thing what in the world are you doing to get 16mpg? I'm getting 24~mpg with a good quarter of my drive in the city. Heck if I baby it I can hit 27mpg. That's with no tune, hfc, and exhaust

Did any of my post help you or just feeling nice?Give Rep|Add me to your friends list|View My Build "The real you is who you are when ain't nobody watchin" - NF
1/4atatime is offline   Reply With Quote