View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 08:34 AM   #7539 (permalink)
Spooler
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Nismo 370z
Spooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLarson View Post
This brings to mind an interesting story from Boeing a while back, as told to me by our consultant, an ex-Boeing guy from way back. I'm not sure on time frame, but following a massive wave of retirements from older Boeing personnel, Boeing's assembly lines abruptly found themselves unable to fabricate several of their aircraft. They had to call back the retirees, because of all the custom or one-off stuff the retirees actually did to make components fit - shims, special custom tools, that kind of thing. It was a metric buttload of stuff that those fellas knew, and which had never been documented anywhere.

The whole clause 7.1.6 Organizational Knowledge was written into ISO9001:2015 partly as a result of trying to make organizations capture that kind of knowledge proactively, instead of reactively.

This should tell the employers one thing. Don't treat the folks that work for you like crap. They are the reason you are successful. With all of the outsourcing, layoffs over the years, etc. Little nuggets of data are being kept private. Sometimes on purpose, sometimes not. Like Rusty for instance and the power plant he use to work at. New company bought the place and some higher up manager some where caused all kinds of grief for the employees. You reap what you sow.

I deal with this crap all the time. Sometimes I speak up, sometimes I don't.

Last edited by Spooler; 05-12-2021 at 08:42 AM.