View Single Post
Old 12-14-2020, 09:29 AM   #6157 (permalink)
RicerX
Track Member

Drives: To the Pizza joint.
RicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I retired from the power generation industry. I can tell you this. IF 10% of the cars on the road now was electric. Our grid could not handle it right now. California would be in even bigger trouble. Their grid is already on shaky ground. They don't have enough generation capacity for the extra load. As they have to buy electric from out of state now. Combine that with the blackouts from the fires.

The power companies have been trying to up grade the grid for years with new power lines. But people not want the power lines close to them. So the power lines are being built.
It seems only anyone in power generation truly understands this. My pops is a lifelong nuclear power guy. I truly believe nuclear is the only feasible macro solution to meet our power needs while minimally impacting the environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARblue
Rural America is going to make it extremely difficult for the US to force electric vehicles on a national level. I'm predicting that we'll have a number of companies and politicians screaming for it wherever they can make money (i.e. California and densely populated regions) and the rural portions of the country will continue to use ICE vehicles for several decades. This will lead to even more discrepancy in the needs and style of living between rural and urban areas. Which should lead to much better political discourse at the federal level
Rural America and heavy industry is where I feel Hydrogen Fuel Cells have a place.

Right now gas is cheap. Post-COVID, we'll see an increase in demand and an increase in price that will eventually normalize, but gas will not get less expensive with widespread adoption of electric/alternative fuel vehicles. Production volume will decrease while demand seen from rural areas will remain, which at best will result in prices staying the same or slightly increasing. My bet is increasing. When we see electric vehicles take over, gas will become so expensive that it will price people into electric vehicles.