View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #1859 (permalink)
madwi
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Granma red Z
madwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond reputemadwi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLarson View Post
Did I tell you about the time at my old shop that a veteran machinist put a large cylinder on a grinding table, counting on the magnetic table to hold the cylinder while removing .005 material in a single pass?

The cylinder flew past 2 other machinists and embedded itself in the concrete wall beside them. Anyone hit would've been killed. Had to fire the machinist. 35 years of experience...
Grinders are scary machines! The concrete wall in front of the grinders at school looked like it came from Mogadishu. At the shop we made the rings for the navigational Gyroscopic rotors, we'd use the centerless surface grinder for OD dia. finishing. I watched a new guy try to take a giant bite and it shattered both wheels and shot the part through the roof. Fuckin daylight shining in the shop from the hole.

We also did sheetmetal work and put square pieces on the lathe... The wall on both sides of the machine and the ceiling were covered with what we called ninja stars lol