View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 11:24 PM   #3212 (permalink)
vtec to vvel
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 13 Z
vtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyZ View Post
Jumping ship, or moving on to better things? The idea of staying at one firm for 30 years died when employers realized they could massively reduce liabilities by switching from pensions to 401k and related retirement matching programs. Totally severed the employer/employee relationship.
A little bit of both I suppose. The most I've lasted at an employer was about 5 years, and was with Kraft-Heinz. This was during the great recession, and they were cutting left and right. I jumped ship to another company, but wasn't much better, but had job security.

I agree with the pension/401k aspect, and I also think that the newer generations, myself included, have this sense of entitlement. Took me a while to realize that good things come from hard work and nothing will be spoon-fed to me. Props to the earlier generations on being able to last 10, 20, 30+ years at one employer.