View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 10:32 AM   #300 (permalink)
gbrettin
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Tricycle
gbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond repute

IG @gbrettin:
So close to being done. Need a bit more tooling resin for the fiberglass. Next time I'll add some reinforcement via the used fiberglass rolls.

------------------

I got a boat load more supplies and what I thought was enough tooling epoxy resin (expensive and gets ultra-hard) for fiberglass. I used two gallons of resin on this last pass. I added three additional layers in the center section of the hood and two on the flange. The outer flange needs more but I think the center is pretty darn strong. I think total support is at 6 layers inner and 3 on outer (sides of hood not the front and back of flange).

For the hood and cowl, heavy duty carbon fiber and a lighter weave was received from Composite Envisions. I have carbon kevlar for an outer layer... but I really don't want black and yellow on my hood. I need to get a few yards of silver and carbon.

With the scraps from the hood and cowl, I plan on using that for a wet layup + vacuum for Elijah/Elmo’s twin brake cooler. That will keep things simple that way, as opposed to doing vacuum infusion. But why does he need a twin cooler you might ask? From conversations with him, he said that a single 2.5 cooler isn’t cutting it on the track. I was shocked to hear that… but I’ve never tracked my car. *shrug*

The G8, which has been the bunk mate of my Z, has just been wrapped up. The car put down CRAZY numbers on low boost, to the tune where we were all scratching our heads. The owners of AutoDynamix have a fire under their a$$ to make my car’s turbo plumbing. I’m not gonna stop that train. Sooooo now it looks like I will bounce between turbo plumbing and composite build. I’m ok with that. Composite mold making takes tons of time and then there is a ton of wait time. This should balance out nicely.

I was asked not to post final numbers for the G8 on low boost due to potential grudge races. High boost is going to be quite ridiculous.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwIjWoAPAjo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha97P2CE5dE
gbrettin is offline   Reply With Quote