Thread: CoronaVirus
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2020, 11:26 AM   #477 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Things are getting pretty crazy, even here in S AR. I had to tear out some wall board in one of the bathrooms (the original contractor left out the insulation plus the outer sheathing had pulled loose from the stud in one corner, allowing air intrusion, took me a looonnnggg time to figure out where the cold air was coming from). Asked the gal that usually does my shopping to get me some wall board screws, joint tape, a piece of wall board, etc. She started at Walmart and sent me a pic of the TP aisle - not a single roll in sight. She then went to a national chain hardware store and was able to get most of the small stuff but the store was so crowded, she couldn't find anyone to cut the wall board.

Aside:
She bought spackle instead of joint compound. Bob Vila says one is not supposed to use spackle in place of joint compound unless you have to (something about spackle drying too fast). Is it really that big of a deal? I'm just doing a 3'x5' section (~1m x 1.5m for those who think in metric), not a whole room. She doesn't mind exchanging it but I'd hate to send her back into the melee if I don't have to.
Any other tips for someone who has never done any real wall board work? I've patched a bunch of holes but never used tape or replaced a section.