View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #246 (permalink)
Pharmacist
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370z Sport 6MT
Pharmacist is a jewel in the roughPharmacist is a jewel in the roughPharmacist is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackflag View Post
See, I don't think that's it. What concerns me is the "nanoparticles" they're specifying for their oil. So, regardless of the base oil, they're putting a friction modifier in it.

It wouldn't bother me so much if it was a dino/ester/PAO discussion...whatever, pick one. But the lack of these special friction modifiers they spec bothers me. I wish you could just buy that and add it to your oil.

I can't believe you people opened this can of worms again.
i agree. it's already been mentioned that there are many other synthetic ester based oils that are just as good and even cheaper than the nissan oil. but the critical issue like you said is the whole nanoparticle thing that nissan is trying to patent. no other oil or oil additive claims to have anything like it and no one seems to know exactly what those nanoparticles do and how important they are. of course it is possible the whole thing is just a gimmick to make a lot of $$$ by selling their overpriced oil, but like other ppl said, its a new car, new engine, new design that likely has a few unfixed bugs, and has a warranty, and nissan created this oil specifically for their engine.

nissan's oil is GUARANTEED to work in our engines, or at the very least guaranteed not to give nissan an excuse should something happen to the engine. other oils mentioned in this thread may or may not be inferior to the nissan oil, no one seems to know for sure, but no one is claiming that any other oil is superior to or works better than the nissan oil. the other reason for switching is cost. but any other good ester based synthetic (as opposed to crap dino oil) still costs a good buck, and these oils are only slightly cheaper than the nissan oil. cost savings for the 3-4 oil changes over a year are very negligible. on the other hand there is the risk that they may damage the engine, or at the very least give nissan the ability to claim they damaged the engine if something happens in the future.

ill stick to the ester oil. the benefits of it far outweigh the costs