View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 07:13 AM   #8009 (permalink)
eastwest2300
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '16QX70/'21 Supra3.0
eastwest2300 has a reputation beyond reputeeastwest2300 has a reputation beyond reputeeastwest2300 has a reputation beyond reputeeastwest2300 has a reputation beyond reputeeastwest2300 has a reputation beyond reputeeastwest2300 has a reputation beyond reputeeastwest2300 has a reputation beyond reputeeastwest2300 has a reputation beyond reputeeastwest2300 has a reputation beyond reputeeastwest2300 has a reputation beyond reputeeastwest2300 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLarson View Post
I have completely lived this life. Worked in construction with my dad for a long time, nice little family business, 2 year waiting list for work. It wasn't awesome money but it was a trade, I learned a set of skills, and working with my pops was great in that it taught me to work hard. Housing market crash came, wiped us out. We had 1 last series of projects which kept us going in fits and spurts until spring of 2011. By then, there was just nothing in our area. I was working a day or two a week if I was lucky. Jumped to highway construction. Had to drive upward of 100 miles per day without compensation, $11.45/hr, no bathroom breaks and stints up to 16 hours without food/water beyond what you carried on you. Not my favorite job (but I was glad to have it). I was renting a house with 2 of my brothers, and even in a poor area split 3 ways, we were barely making it.

Friend of the family got me into a local machine shop as a QC clerk. Not much of a pay increase, but I realized it was a marketable skill. Doors opened, and the God of Abraham, Isaac, and JC Hammond made a way for me. 50 weeks later, I was QA Manager. 3 years, running most of the shop. 5 years, new job at larger company. 8th year just started, Director of Quality. Been a wild ride, from poverty to comfort. Just be ready to work your butt off if the opportunity comes - and it may not be in the area or career field you expect. I could never have made it without good friends and good family - people are an amazing resource. I'm incredibly grateful.