View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 06:37 AM   #8002 (permalink)
JLarson
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 14 Nissan 370z MR M6
JLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I've come to this conclusion. You just have to be in the right place, the right time, and say the right thing, to the right person to get ahead. I've seen it happen over and over.
I have completely lived this life. Worked in construction with my dad for a long time, nice little family business, 2 year waiting list for work. It wasn't awesome money but it was a trade, I learned a set of skills, and working with my pops was great in that it taught me to work hard. Housing market crash came, wiped us out. We had 1 last series of projects which kept us going in fits and spurts until spring of 2011. By then, there was just nothing in our area. I was working a day or two a week if I was lucky. Jumped to highway construction. Had to drive upward of 100 miles per day without compensation, $11.45/hr, no bathroom breaks and stints up to 16 hours without food/water beyond what you carried on you. Not my favorite job (but I was glad to have it). I was renting a house with 2 of my brothers, and even in a poor area split 3 ways, we were barely making it.

Friend of the family got me into a local machine shop as a QC clerk. Not much of a pay increase, but I realized it was a marketable skill. Doors opened, and the God of Abraham, Isaac, and JC Hammond made a way for me. 50 weeks later, I was QA Manager. 3 years, running most of the shop. 5 years, new job at larger company. 8th year just started, Director of Quality. Been a wild ride, from poverty to comfort. Just be ready to work your butt off if the opportunity comes - and it may not be in the area or career field you expect. I could never have made it without good friends and good family - people are an amazing resource. I'm incredibly grateful.