View Single Post
Old 09-28-2018, 02:15 PM   #47 (permalink)
ChopsZ
Track Member

Drives: 2016 370Z GM 6MT
ChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Gillmore View Post
Well if that’s the case then how does one go about learning to drive a stick? With that outlook I guess no one would ever drive a stick. I learned how to operate a manual transmission on a 600cc supersport motorcycle. Which I owned for 4 years before buying my manual 370z. I thought that was enough to prepare me for a manual car and in reality it was. The questions I posted here are really just a matter of personal preference. Like do you row down the gears when slowing to a stop or block shift when the RPMs drop below 1500 etc. Other than that it’s just tips on how to smoothly operate the objectively tricky clutch in the 370z.

But yeah as someone said the automatic Z is faster than the manual in a drag race or any other race. The paddles on the Z are nothing special but they STILL shift faster than a human can. So with the paddles you can shift faster than the manual can AND you still have the benefit of selecting the correct gear in order to keep the RPMs in the powerband. Literally the only advantage to driving a manual is the way it makes you feel while driving it. That is it. And that’s enough for me and many others. The manual is dying though because people don’t buy them anymore. And I don’t blame them really, it’s a huge pain in the *** for normal street driving. And slower than modern DCts or automatics.
Again, everyone drives a manual differently. There's no "set-in-stone" way of doing it. You just do whatever works best for you. And whatever works will change depending on the situation at the time. Dry road, sand, rain, snow, hills, etc, etc.

And I'm tired of people saying this crap about autos being faster. Who cares?! How in the world does that possibly matter on the streets where 99% of Z's are driven every day?! None. None what so ever. And no, they are NOT faster in "any other race". But whatever.

Manuals aren't selling in America because the typical American is fat and lazy and doesn't want to be bothered shifting gears when they could be using that other hand for texting while driving or stuffing a burger in their face. Funny manuals are selling like hot cakes in every other country out there except us. Go figure.