View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #25 (permalink)
BOLIO 671
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: To & From then Back
BOLIO 671 has a reputation beyond reputeBOLIO 671 has a reputation beyond reputeBOLIO 671 has a reputation beyond reputeBOLIO 671 has a reputation beyond reputeBOLIO 671 has a reputation beyond reputeBOLIO 671 has a reputation beyond reputeBOLIO 671 has a reputation beyond reputeBOLIO 671 has a reputation beyond reputeBOLIO 671 has a reputation beyond reputeBOLIO 671 has a reputation beyond reputeBOLIO 671 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfromfl View Post
I see the damper now in the photo, Bolio -- but it looks like the strut is on the passenger side? The strut part is wider -- did you flip it to make more room on the driver's side for the intercooler?

The fact that the damper is shown proves that there's enough room for it...but probably not for the OEM oil cooler, which sits in front of it. Hard to judge the space between the damper and where the OEM cooler would sit in the photo, and the back of the frame of the intercooler. Am I going to have to budget for a 34-row cooler, too? I wasn't planning on that. I'm not going to track the car, and I am happy where the temps are now, which allows plenty of upside for the s/c. I know that for the Nismo, the only choice is the 34-row.

I just got out a flashlight and a tape measure again, and the distance from the front side of my damper bar to the front of the fins of the OEM oil cooler is 1.5" -- but on my car I'm measuring from the damper bar and not the strut, which is on the driver's side. So, if the damper is flipped, the imaginary distance would be less (but there probably wouldn't be enough space between the strut and the cooler if it was flipped). The fins on the oil cooler are 1" deep, and as far as I can tell, it's just a simple air-cooled unit. No frame, just bare fins with a U-shaped run of pipe through it. The cooler starts about where the passenger side of the damper bolts to the support structure, and extends about 10" towards the driver's side -- so it would have to run behind the intercooler.
The Damper is on straight not flippped. F.I. recommends that u flip it if u go with the 34 Oil Cooler that they sale in order to place the oil cooler where they specify so at one point in time prior to going Supercharged it was flipped over. However, when I got The Stillen S/C prior to TopGunz A2A Kit, I had to rearrange some things for plumbing purposes. You will eventually encounter this when u do the Suoercharger Kit or any F.I. Install. Slight modifications and re-organizing will have to be done. When it comes down to it it’s almost like re-arranging tools in ur garage. Trying to figure out how everything will fit to ur taste and needs. The installation instructions TopGunz provides are clear and direct; this kit is designed to fit. If the 34 oil cooler will fit u will have no issues with the OEM one fitting with the FMIC. Besides like Jayhovah pointed out, all the OEM oil filter is is a few coolant lines with a Sandwhich plate that’s plumbed into the power steering cooler, which BTW I still have installed. It will not hamper the fitment of the FMIC.

As far as the 34 row oil cooler is concerned whether u need one or not is dependent on ur driving and weather conditions. If ur gonna track the car then an oil cooler is recommended. I for one need it here due to the hot and humid tropical weather. I also got this upgrade before going supercharged. If ur going F.I. (Supercharged /Turbo) then having an Oil Cooler is highly recommended if not needed. You will eventually run hotter temps opposed to N/A, especially when u get on it.
2013 Nismo Z34 / FI TT #091 / IG: @lilzilla_z34

Last edited by BOLIO 671; 02-20-2018 at 10:36 AM.
BOLIO 671 is offline   Reply With Quote