View Single Post
Old 12-19-2017, 12:20 AM   #31 (permalink)
Rusty
Ronin Samurai - Assassin

Drives: 2011 Nismo GM 6M
Rusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy

Electric cars are coming faster then what we think. The problems I see for now with the electric car is range, charging time, battery replacement costs, and inter-structure for recharging. They will figure some of this out, but not all of it.

I drive cross country alot. Mostly from Pittsburgh to Denver and back. Takes about 14 hrs one way. How long will it take me with an electric car? Days? Close to a week? I get about 400 miles out of a tank of gas. Electric is limited to what? 200 miles or so. Takes me about 10 minutes to fill up. How long does it take to recharge the battery? Hours? How many place are there for recharging on a interstate? I've only seen one place. And it was close to a city. You won't find any on I70 or I80. So much for taking a long road trip in the future.

Battery replacement for now is about 1/3 the cost of the car. Because of this. Low end families are going to be hurting. You'll end up with less people driving. And what are you going to do with the old batteries? If you're in an accident. Now you have to fear from getting executed. Survive the wreck, then get zapped getting out of the car.

Another problem. Being in power generation for years. Our grid right now can not handle a massive increase in electric cars today. Transmission lines will have to be up-graded and new lines put up. And guess what. You will have the N.I.M.B.Y group yelling about the new lines. So until you fix that problem. You may be looking at brown outs.

And lets not forget about the big one. TAXES. Instead of paying road taxes with each gallon of gas. You will be paying for each mile driven. Two ways of what the gov't is thinking. Pay at the time of each recharge. Or pay yearly for each mile. That will be a big bill!

浪人 - 殺し屋
"The Difficult Anytime, The Impossible By Appointment Only"
http://www.the370z.com/members-370z-...o-journal.html

Last edited by Rusty; 12-19-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote