Thread: D2 Coilovers
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 11:12 PM   #44 (permalink)
MaysEffect
Enthusiast Member

Drives: Infiniti FX35
MaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhill View Post
Here mays maybe this will help you. As I said people used to always comment on how ti springs felt different/better than steel and often commented as being "plusher".
Good info, and also good point about it being plusher oppose to softer. That i believe is the correct term. But this doesn't explain how it changes its specific force output when comparing two similarly rated springs. It only explains for any specific rate, you have less mass and subsequently more available travel. Would this actually make 400ib/in rated spring respond differently? Possibly, but what is being changed here dynamically? Wheel rate? The springs mass is balanced 50/50 between unsprung and sprung mass, so 2-5ibs loss in mass on the unsprung side would make a huge difference on its inertia over bumps. The other caveat is fatigue resistance and resistance to sag. Both of these go back to what i said earlier.

Quote:
Regards to new versus old. It's also possible you guys felt a difference simply because the old spring has settled into fatigue and spring sag, loosing it's original overall force output over time
So in actuality the new spring would actually be stiffer, possibly resulting in a smoother more responsive wheel control. This intern is misconceived as "softer", but as you pointed out, it is actually "plusher".

Similarly to reducing the mass by adding smaller diameter and lighter wheels and tires, the overall change here is a reduction in weight and inertia.
MaysEffect is offline   Reply With Quote