Thread: D2 Coilovers
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 02:25 PM   #24 (permalink)
MaysEffect
Enthusiast Member

Drives: Infiniti FX35
MaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond repute

I was asking for clarification on the situation because you are the one making the claim about variations between companies claiming the same properties. There are too many variables in a suspension system that would render your analysis inaccurate. Certainly if the springs you claim are in actuality not the same in the first place.

There is a statement in the article suggest there are industry standards that allow estimated measurement values of 5% accuracy to the claimed rating. While this is true and the case between company and company, you'd still be hard pressed to notice a considerable difference here unless there were considerable design differences between the springs. Most linear springs from swift, hyperco and eibach use very similar design principles and dimensions, with materials and forming being one of the only open variable. Even still not different enough to change to overall behavior of the spring. If it's a linear spring we are talking about, it still needs to behave in such fashion. Now if you are talking about progressive springs, then of course they're will be considerable differences from the base spring ratings companies claim. There is absolutely nothing accurate about ratings for progressive springs, certainly when talking about dual rate springs. The differences can easily be above 200ib/in at 2inches of compression for instance.

With a 1000ib/in linear spring, a 5% variation is only 50ibs. In most cases 1000ibs is already greater than the corner load on most vehicles including the 370z and g37. So you'd need significant load transfer or bump aggravation to get those springs working. Add in damper force and tire compression, you're butt will need to be working at 200% to accurately measure what the spring is doing beyond supporting the weight of the vehicle.

This is also another reason why kg/mm is such a horrible measurement in any form. It allows a variable average of 55*ib/in both ways between ratings. Hyperco, Eibach and even swift don't even claim those exact levels of accuracy on there site in ib/in form. Hyperco make springs in 25ib/in increments as does eibach. So again this goes back to what i said that in reality the two springs you are claiming are not actually the same and can be different over 2kg or so. So is the swift spring actually softer? Sure, but that's by the virtue of it actually having a different rating all together. Not it's difference to compression and rebound behavior.

You and the article are right in saying the springs may not actually have the same rating, but this is not the same thing as saying; for one rating (if accurately measured), two springs behave different enough for you to tell pants to seat. Even in the article they used a scenario when they changed springs with slightly different ratings and couldn't tell the difference.

Quote:
For example, while testing at Charlotte, a car had a 375# tagged spring in the rear, the driver felt that the car was loose on corner entry and the Hoosier tire temperatures supported his feel. After stiffing the spring to a 400# tagged spring the driver did not feel any changes. The tire temperatures still supported his feel.
You saying you could tell the difference with two springs with the SAME rating and noticing a significant difference draws skepticism. Sorry you don't see that. The test goes on to say, the springs were actually tested within 2ib/in of eachother in favor of the lower rated spring when rated only 1/2kg/mm(25ib/in) difference.

I don't know how you are reading my tone, but i haven't said anything with attitude or contempt. I was simply questioning the validity of your claims. Making claims like that suggests someone is lying about there products, and in a thread where people come to get information like this, that can be damaging to the reputation of the company you speak about. Making that claim alone can significantly shift someone's buying choice when the validity of the claim can't even be taken with face value. This is my reasoning for questioning it. I was not at all trying to belittle you, just trying to get an accurate depiction of the situation, so others can draw the right conclusion before changing their opinion. (seriously wasn't trying to rhyme there )

I've literally been making the same questions and discussions since I've been here. My very first post almost gave Spooler an aneurysm lol. So sorry if i got under your skin. It's not at all personal

Last edited by MaysEffect; 09-26-2017 at 02:32 PM.
MaysEffect is offline   Reply With Quote