View Single Post
Old 04-30-2017, 05:59 PM   #4743 (permalink)
Ghostvette
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 15 Magma Red 6MT
Ghostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeingAround View Post
This could easily be a gun forum disguised as a 370Z forum.
I am having trouble with the RCBS primer pocket swager dies in a new lee press. (.223)
The center rod is sticking in the case and hard to get off. Sometimes the top of the case is smashed, And I have made several adjustments. I am thinking about getting the RCBS bench top swager tool instead, or maybe the dillon. Any thoughts?

as far as cleaning brass, I have a Franklin Tumbler with walnut shells. I wash in a two- liter bottle and dry the shells on a tray atop the boiler pipes. I am researching some ultrasonic cleaners too, because they work well to clean small carburetors.
Did your swager come with two rods? It sounds like you might be using the larger one, which would explain the case sticking. As I recall, setting up this die is a royal pain in the ***, there's no good way to measure anything. Best suggestion would be to put the shell holder in the press, run the swager down to where there is about 1/8" gap between the die housing and the shell holder (two nickels stacked is pretty close). Put an unprimed case in, bring the ram all the way up, then adjust the center rod until it touches the webbing inside. (It's tough to feel). From that point, it's adjust the rod until a primer will seat with normal pressure. What makes this such a pain is that you have to do this each time you use it. I'm pondering the bench mount swager at this point.

Oh, and don't forget to put the metal cup with the hole on before you start swaging...

I have the RCBS swager dies that I normally use on my single stage RockChucker press.