View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #4715 (permalink)
OhioYJ
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2016 370Z
OhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond repute

On another forum reloading had come up, and I figured up costs associated with it. Now I posted this back in 2013, but should give you a general idea, and still maybe helpful:

Quote:
So I've been asked many times about reloading, how much it costs and such. Figured I'd out lay some of the actual costs involved. I'm specifically using 45 ACP costs, as that's what I load/shoot mainly.
I'm going to assume you have brass. Also note these prices are going to vary based on materials used.

100 Lead bullets - $10.50
100 Primers - $3.99
Powder for 100 Bullets - $1.30
---------------------------------------------
$15.79 to load 100 bullets.

^ Remember this will most likely take 60 minutes of your time too.
^ Also note I buy the bullets in very large quanities to get those kinds of prices, it is more likely you may pay $12-15 for 100.

Winchester White Box down at WalMart is up to $40 last time I checked. Meaning I'm saving $24.21 for every 100 bullets I shoot / load.

Including the cost of equipment (this will vary greatly in cost depending on what you get):
Press - Kit (Single Stage) - $115.99
Dies - $43.99
Digital Scale - $32.49 (Only because it's easier than the beam style include in the $115 kit)
Calipers - $16.68 (I had a set, but I'm including them in case you don't.)
Bullet Puller - $16.69
Reloading Tray - $7.99
-----------------------------------------------
$233.83

Using these figures, you have to load 1000 rounds to break even with the cost of the equipment included. Also keep in mind loading those 1000 rounds will take roughly 10 hours. It's also getting just about as hard to find reloading stuff as it is bullets, so this doesn't necessarily garuntee you an unlimited supply of ammo. Right now the powder I use isn't expected to be back in stock till mid next year, I've been hunting everywhere for some.

Remember you are messing with very dangerous materials while reloading. Reloading requires attention to detail. Mess something up and you will hurt or kill yourself.

So why do I reload:
- Accuracy / Repeatability, not trying to say I'm all that accurate, but I definitely notice how every round reacts exactly the same.
- It's honestly relaxing.
- I can make the rounds exactly how I want them.
- It is cheaper in the long run

I should also note that the break even point is likely to change, as if you really get into it, it's very likely you'll end up buying more equipment, to make things easier, and go quicker.
OhioYJ is offline   Reply With Quote