View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 05:09 AM   #28 (permalink)
Cyber370
Track Member

Drives: 2016 370Z Nismo 6MT
Cyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe break in periods are that critical anymore. Manufacturers still put it in owner manuals more as a best practice. Personally, I just drive the car normally. I don't flog it nor do I baby it. I've never had any issues with any new car I've owned.

You would think that if break-in periods were critical for engine reliability and longevity, car manufacturers would program lower rev-limits into the ECU for the first couple thousand miles or so.
I wouldn't worry about it with modern cars. Of course, common sense has to prevail. If someone takes a car from the showroom floor straight to the track, that's pushing it.