View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
bewhitey
Base Member

Drives: 370z 40th #704 M6 SC
bewhitey is on a distinguished road

This little water to air cooler box here is one of the main reasons to get rid of the stillen cooling system. This is mounted inside the intake manifold, directly on top of the engine. The engine gets hot, this little radiator will get hot (heat soaked). Not to mention it is all of 3" wide. There is no way hot compressed air that is moving really fast from your supercharger is going to get cooled in the milliseconds it is in the 3" of the radiator. So basically all this thing does is restrict air flow and maybe cool the temp by 1 degree. If I had two temp gauges I could use a heat gun to blow air through it and run water from my faucet into this radiator to measure how effective it is.

Another reason this setup sucks is because the MAF sensors that measure air temps are right behind the air intake, then the air is compressed at the supercharger (heated) and then supposedly cooled at the intake manifold. By the time the air is in the engine your car really does not know what temperature it really is. The air is really way hotter than what the MAF is reading

Thirdly, lets say your water pump for this stillen cooling system fails. How will you ever know? you could drive it for thousands of miles and probably never know. It would be interesting to see how the car drives with the pump off. That would be hilarious if it was the same. It is sad how much this stillen kit costs and this is what you get.... my cousin had a supercharged kit installed on his porsche (water to air too), about the same price and the water to air intercooler is a big box. Take a look at frozenboosts website. They have a cooler that is 4"x10", the air is flowing in the direction of the 10". The air will be in contact with the cooler 3 times longer than the stillen cooler .... this is rated for only 300 hp!!!! And is already way better than the stillen cooler
Air/Water IC

Honestly it is better than nothing, as long as you do not up your boost and stick with a modest tune.
Vortech SC|Stillen Sway Bars+Facia+Skirts+CB Exhaust|Z1 Clutch+CSC Elimination Kit|ACT LW Flywheel|Tein Coils+EDFC|SPL Camber Arms|RJM Clutch Pedal|TWM Short Shifter|Morimoto Switchback LED's|Z1 34 Row Oil Cooler|AIR 2 AIR|E85 Flex Fuel|460 whp TheBoostCreep
bewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote