View Single Post
Old 05-29-2016, 02:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
SS_Firehawk
Premium Member

Drives: 13' Magma Red Nismo
SS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Phoenix Project

So I'm stuck on this plane with terrible Internet for a while and wanted to start creating a new thread since I no longer have my black Z anymore. For now, I really want to start tracking mods done, pics of the parts, gains, and documenthe my process. Guess it's a bootleg blog. I will attach pics and better organize this when I have more time and not in a flying tube.

So I started off with short tails, which did sound nice, and drowned like mad. I think the car gained power from it because I was making 307whp with just that mod. I didn't have a clean baseline, but I would assume it is between 290 and 295whp.

Next, I added AAM midpipes. This mod opened the exhaust up to 2.5" and maintained the nismo have pipe configuration. Without a tune, I saw no gains. The sound was deeper and more refined overall compared to just short tails

For intakes, I decided on Z1''s after ordering them on black friday. I had originally planned for the AAM intakes, but I quickly changed my mind after saving over $100. Again I didn't see much of a power gain without tuning. They are a full id, and don't have any choke points for the maf. I like that they were powder coated and you can choose your colors.

I went back to AAM for resonated testpipes. I was apprehensive in pairing this with short tails as I thought it will be raspy and sound unrefined. I was hoping I was wrong, but unfortunately, I was right. It lasted a week before I ordered mufflers. There was small gains before tuning, but after tuning, I was making 327whp/270wtq in 4th gear.

To fix the noise issue, I went back to AAM for their axleback. It was a bit overpriced, but it came in quickly. Before break in, I hated it. It was too quiet, the rawness turned I to a muted puff barely louder than stock, it was just bad. After break in, finally some soul came back and had good volume. Unfortunately, shoddy engineering from AAM, the exhaust hanger broke. Now imy passed and want to sell everything I bought from AAM. I'll send what I do.

I bought a ported lower manifold a couple months ago and installed it on my own. It was difficult to discern any improvement on its own. There was no sound change. The piece was done by Synergy and was ported evenly, very good craftsmanship.

I just received the ported upper manifold and throttle bodies from Scott as well. I am not home to get a good look, but my cousin measured them and will be installing for me soon. I think that having th ported TB's, upper and lower are critical to making good gains that are noticable. I don't know when I can get a dyno done, but I'm hoping I can hit 340whp/275wtq in 5th.

I'm still debating on purchasing headers and Z1's filter upgrade, but I also plan on going turbo in the future. I am curious as to whether or not I can hit 350whp with just true bolt ons and pump gas. Then again 350whp is nothing compared to 550+.

I'll revise this post with more info and a lot of pics.

SS_Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote