View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 11:39 PM   #7247 (permalink)
ChaseZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 16 370z
ChaseZ has a reputation beyond reputeChaseZ has a reputation beyond reputeChaseZ has a reputation beyond reputeChaseZ has a reputation beyond reputeChaseZ has a reputation beyond reputeChaseZ has a reputation beyond reputeChaseZ has a reputation beyond reputeChaseZ has a reputation beyond reputeChaseZ has a reputation beyond reputeChaseZ has a reputation beyond reputeChaseZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbeatty View Post
Well 20 mins is the standard for any type of drone with a good camera and all the features. There are so many variables when it comes to flight times, my best was 23 mins without the go pro, video transmitter, and carbon fiber landing gear. But i built mine to maximize flight time and you can't just add another battery or bigger since weight is a BIG deal.

You can get small racing drones with a decent camera for ~$150 built. But they get around 10 mins of flight time.
I've thought of trying out one of those little sub $100 drones they have at check stands of Bestbuy and the like for kicks but never pulled the trigger.

Do have a 1/10 Axial RC Jeep to play with, but I switched it to LIPO batteries and instead of 20 minutes I'm getting a solid hour and a half out of it easily. Wasn't a cheap upgrade by the time you get a few batteries and the new charger, but well worth it. Doesn't sound like there are upgrade options like that for drones though.

Guess it's one of those things just like electric cars where battery technology is getting better, but still has a long way to go before it catches up to where it needs to be.