View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 05:33 PM   #22 (permalink)
cv129
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Nismo, 16 Nismo
cv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond repute

Quick question though, where did you find the info on needing to rebuild the shocks? Is that bc people with this suspension are usually tracking them or do they truly need to be rebuilt that often?

My 2 cents...maybe I used the word "rebuild" too loosely. What I meant was servicing the shocks. It can be as simple as changing out the shock oils. And in the longer run, especially if shocks are exposed to high heat (engine heat + lots of rapid movements from aggressive driving), I think seals and shims have to be replaced. On nitrogen filled shocks, you should service when shock does not return to its original position on its own (test when shock is off the car, simplify push in and see if it goes back on its own).

I am unsure just exactly how often a service should be performed. Pro race teams check them as often as every session. Some say race tracks usage is the most punishing. Some say uneven road is equally bad. Some says a service is warranted when the adjustment knobs no longer provide the desired changes (like turning it a few position and car still feels the same).

I've seen pictures of high end shocks with oil all gunked up. I think it's best to raise this question to the manufacturer, and also get opinion from rebuilds shop. I just wanna make sure you factor this into your long term expectation.

Best of luck. I feel excited even tho I'm not the one buying haha.