Thread: 2017 370z
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #51 (permalink)
Darwins Child
Base Member

Drives: '14 Z Tour+Sport 7AT
Darwins Child is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishuko View Post
Darwin, if you were looking at 2010 models I'd also suggest looking at other used models with the sport + touring package as they should be similar in price to a brand new base.

you get the better goodies... just a thought
I'll keep that in mind. Right now I'm looking at all auto Zs that come up for sale in the base's price area.

Do members here feel that the Canadian Black Book (CBB) reflects market reality? It seems to me that in the Edmonton/Calgary market, average asking prices in Kijiji or AutoTrader are far higher than the average asking price stated in CBB. Some of the asking prices are downright ridiculous -- for example, asking $3K more for a loaded '14 used car than the price of a loaded, brand new '14 leftover.

Anybody else have that impression? Maybe it's just because of the time of year and Alberta's early, summer-like weather.

While I'm typing, do you think that, year for year, automatics are more or less desirable than manuals? I'm just wondering how difficult it is for owners of automatics to sell them, and how this situation might be used to our advantage during negotiation. I ask because there are far more manuals than automatics on the used market. In today's Kijiji, for example, the ratio of manuals to autos is about 2:1. Another reason I ask is because the new leftovers tend to be autos. I'm guessing this is the case because twice as many new manuals are sold than automatics, but why? Is it because people want a manual in a sports car, or is it because the autos are so much more expensive when new (for new Canadian automatics, anyway)?

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about:
2013 Nissan 370Z Stillen Supercharged | used cars & trucks | Edmonton | Kijiji
I know that this amazing automatic vehicle has been for sale for quite some time because I've been looking at 370Z ads for months. Because we were taking a trip to that part of town anyway, my wife allowed us to stop in to see the vehicle. In short, I was wowed by the thing, but it's out of "our" (my wife's) price range. (As I was test driving the base coupe, I could not help but imagine what it must be like to drive a 400-whp paddle-shifter.) But for the long list of stuff that is in that as-new, 17K-km vehicle, I think it is being sold at a very reasonable price, especially considering what a new automatic sells for, or, for that matter, even a used, loaded '13 that has the same kms. So why hasn't that vehicle sold? I believe it is probably because it is an automatic.
Darwins Child is offline   Reply With Quote