View Single Post
Old 03-06-2016, 08:11 PM   #29 (permalink)
Zoren 370
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Nissan 370 M6
Zoren 370 has a reputation beyond reputeZoren 370 has a reputation beyond reputeZoren 370 has a reputation beyond reputeZoren 370 has a reputation beyond reputeZoren 370 has a reputation beyond reputeZoren 370 has a reputation beyond reputeZoren 370 has a reputation beyond reputeZoren 370 has a reputation beyond reputeZoren 370 has a reputation beyond reputeZoren 370 has a reputation beyond reputeZoren 370 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec to vvel View Post
what does SRM have to do with this? it's still gonna rev match to the RPM when going into 2nd vs 4th. if anything, in this particular situation, it'd be best to have SRM off b/c at least it gives the driver a chance to realize it's in the wrong gear without the computer revving for the driver (this is assuming that the driver knows about the wrong gear and still has the clutch pushed in).
Have I owned my Z too long that I have forgotten what's the SRM and rev limiters are for? Both are 2 different things.
Yes the SRM would rev match when you shift to a lower gear to save you from doing a heel and toe shifting. The SRM is there in a way to protect the tranny which allow you to engage smoothly into a lower gear without experieing the sudden jolt like your car is suddenly want to decelerate which sometimes you use to aid as emergency brake In a manual without SRM. Thus the SRM in a way lessen the strain on your clutch engagement.
But yes I agree the SRM would not save your tranny on an over rev situation such as on a red line zone.
I do not believe op was not in red line zone when he downshifted. Plus the rev limiter is an indicator to let you know that you need to up shift to a higher gear and not to lower gear. Unless you are at 6th gear already.

Being said I do not think OP has jeopardized his tranny or engine. The SRM would have alerted him with a sudden up rev of the engine and not the other way around with it being turned off which is more damaging without doing a heel and toes shifting.

Last edited by Zoren 370; 03-06-2016 at 11:01 PM.