View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 12:18 AM   #24 (permalink)
RadioFlyer
Base Member

Drives: 08 G37S S/C
RadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond repute

I have a G37 as well. My setup is Swift/Koni, 265(f)/305(r) tires, stock sway bars. My alignment is around -1.8(l)/-1.5(r) for the front, and around -1 in the rear. Slight toe in in the front and rear. I'm on the stock bars, and I've found that the car is extremely tail-happy. I attribute that to the tires being weak all seasons (Hankook V12's) but mostly, it's really easy to overpower the rear tires. It seems like that's how these cars are - the rear suspension cambers in A LOT under load. Probably for steady-state cornering, but for putting power down, they are terrible. So the car squats, the rear tires camber in, and you go for a slide.

A front bar sends energy to the front of the car. If you are relieving the rear of some energy by making the rear softer (relative to the front), then it is more compliant, and therefore gives the rear a better chance to put the power down. I say relative to the front because as a whole system, the front is now much stiffer, so the rear is the compliant end of the car's suspension system, even though you didn't change anything there. The result is that it allows the car to put power down under load, but still cambers in as much as it did before for steady-state situations, so you gain a lot in the handling department.
RadioFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote