View Single Post
Old 12-24-2009, 10:04 AM   #85 (permalink)
Horseface
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2010 370 Tr/Sprt/Nv
Horseface will become famous soon enoughHorseface will become famous soon enough

I finally took a test drive in a touring model and found a car very different from my expectations. I've hardly seen any of these cars around in LA. Just two of them, so I spent a good long time just looking at the thing. Even better in person. I like the little roof bubbly bits and subtle lines in the hood. The rear end is really pretty. Nice and wide. The front will probably grow on me. Overall, the car does the 350 right. I always thought the 350z to be too long, with a lot of dead space and wheels that looked out of proportion. The 370 fixes every reservation I had on the 350.

Just sitting in it and closing the door, the car immediately feels very, very solid. Something like a newer Mustang GT or Corvette, but driving along, there seems to be a floaty detachment from the road through the steering. Not sure how else to describe it. It's very 'modern', but I was expecting something a little more engaging. Or something.

The car also feels pretty heavy, which again, surprised me. I was expecting something more nimble. Pushing the gas gave a nice muscular growl which almost seems a little out of place in such a seemingly small vehicle. It's a rough and raw sounding thing which I didn't dislike - I'm used to the polite sound of German vehicles. Welcome change. The actual power of the car isn't immediately apparent, which is somewhat strange. I can easily see why people say that you can speed without being aware of it. Very easy drive. Amazingly low revs and refined when just ticking along, sudden burst of angry wasps when the foot goes down.

The interior is very, very comfortable. The touring seats feel great. Lots of grip. I can easily see myself taking this on a long road trip and not being too sore. It reminds me of a bigger, beefier, more comfortable BMW Z3. I immediately felt at home.

Rear visibility was a real concern. I found that little window absolutely useless and was scared to death of merging on top of somebody. I wonder if this is something I could ever learn to live with.

Storage space seems ample for my needs. I like all the little cubby holes throughout, but the glove box is a sick joke. Maybe it's meant for just gloves?

The one thing that bothers me is the busy looking interior and dash. It's got all manner of little attention grabbing buttons, lighty up bits, trim and doo-dads everywhere which reminds me of a boom box aimed at teens. It doesn't feel well thought out, even though I assume it really *is* well thought out. Although it feels so cosy in there with materials that feel solid and expensive, it just looks somewhat (whisper) tacky.

Other than that, I kinda like it. Problem is, I don't *love* it like I thought I would. I admit, I've not really ever been 'into' Japanese cars and didn't know what to expect. I've always unfairly dismissed them as being somewhat soulless. This was absolutely terrible and wrong-headedly snobby of me, but The 370z and the new, new BMW Z4 are the only cars that I've been interested in recently. Everything just seems to be getting uglier and uglier. The 370 and new Z4 really stand out.

If I can get past the interior and rear/side visibility, I might just find myself picking one up. I will do a Z4 test drive and see how that feels, then make my decision.
Horseface is offline   Reply With Quote