View Single Post
Old 01-16-2016, 11:42 PM   #3956 (permalink)
conmam
Base Member

Drives: 370Z Touring 6MT
conmam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt5897 View Post
I can't say this enough... People underestimate the VVEL system and our heads... Our heads are more efficient than GTR heads and HR heads.... I will be staying with my VVEL.
I totally agree with the efficiency. It is quite good. However, the very big downside is that the VVEL heads are not rebuildable since the VVEL ladders are not to be disassembled per Nissan and therefore if your intake valves clearance are out of specs and/or if you need to replace any of the intake valves components, you are out of luck since Nissan do not sell them separately from the heads. In this case, you must buy the entire head assembly, which is very expensive. Also, the VVEL actuator can be quite costly too.

For normally aspirated motors, it probably can squeeze more HP than any other non-VVEL heads, but really for forced induction, I would very much prefer either the VQ35HR or the VR38DETT heads since the difference is not worth the cost for cylinder head replacement. Also, if you wish to rev higher than 8000 rpm on a built motor, the VVEL system is a definite limiting factor. Just my opinion, that's all.
conmam is offline   Reply With Quote