View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 06:39 PM   #59 (permalink)
Rusty
Ronin Samurai - Assassin

Drives: 2011 Nismo GM 6M
Rusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
But like you said i bet you're taking about metals ive never heard of. Here its mild steel or copper wires. So if teams have found vibrations kill their connection points we have to do whats best as seen by failure. I agree with you on everything else but if teams are paying hundreds of thousands for rally cars and they've seen wire failure except with using crimps and clamps you pretty much have to go with what works. As for welding like my cage for example if cages have just been TIG a certain way and its worked for X amount of years then ill let him just TIG my FIA cage up and call it a day. Ive seen the welds and cages. Im confident it'll save my life as he does it. All other metals and stuff i'll most certainly find someone like you with an advanced degree to consult with for sure!
With mild steel, you could do a little preheat of the weld area with a torch. Just heat the metal up enough to form moisture on the surface. This chases the the hydrogen away so you don't get hydrogen corrosion cracking in the weld. Most people don't know about that little trick.

As for the wiring. If I'm building a race car. I would want to try much as possible to have my wiring with few as possible connections of any kind. That's clamps, crimps, weatherpacks, milspec connectors and soldered joints. The more connections you have, the more places that problems will bite you. I've seen all of the fore mention connections fail. As you said that if a team is paying hundred of thousands for their race cars. You can bet that they have custom made wiring harnesses.

浪人 - 殺し屋
"The Difficult Anytime, The Impossible By Appointment Only"
http://www.the370z.com/members-370z-...o-journal.html
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote