View Single Post
Old 10-16-2015, 08:55 AM   #4085 (permalink)
b15
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 4drz
b15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
I think you're probably right, but I worry too much... $70 worth of oil isn't worth worrying over, to me... So I decided to stick with my "overkill" method of changing in the fall, then changing again in the spring.

I ended up making an appointment for 10/31. So I might drive the car once or twice after that (although it will get down to the low 30's overnight, we don't usually get snow or have any road salt put down until 1st week of December) and then I'll put the battery tender on it and shut the door and try not to think about it for 5 months.

My DD has summer tires on it too, and they're getting pretty "entertaining" with these 45-degree mornings.
I only change mine in the fall before storage. Everyone has different opinions but I don't like used oil sitting for months. I only have about 3k on mine as well but I'd rather flush it out prior to storage to get rid of any contaminants. In the spring in the first start, I take it for a nice long drive and get the oil nice and hot. Any condensation that may have accumulated while it was sitting will evaporate. In my opinion, it's only needed to change before or after storage. No sense in doing both considering its only being stored 5 or so months, not years.