View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #44 (permalink)
370Zsteve
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 Corvette G.S.
370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
Well, while I disagree on the looks, that's certainly subjective. I do believe 99% of the population also disagree with you, however.

As for the engine being in the worst possible location, no, that would be at the extreme FRONT end of the car where it would hinder cornering AND traction in a RWD car (understeer city with tons of wheelspin when accelerating).

More to the point, proper engineering has allowed Porsche to almost fully tame the 911 in terms of snap oversteer. I've actually been in a GT3 and it's nowhere near as unforgiving as a 968 or 993 and the cornering limits are astonishing.
I can't imagine what a car would handle like with an engine in the extreme front, lol, wow. I stand by my statement. There is a reason this is the only car on the planet short of a Mexican Beetle that has an engine in this location. The proper engineering you refer to is an expensive band-aid. The Cayman is a much better-handling automobile. The only reason this car exists is to satisfy a hard-core fanboi-base. If you lift off the throttle mid-corner, yes it is better than a 968, but you can't engineer out all that weight wanting to turn the car 180 degrees. Simple physics.