View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
IAmTheStig
Base Member

Drives: 2014 370z Coupe
IAmTheStig is on a distinguished road
Default Nissan Ester Oil - Sediment in Bottle?

Please do not turn this into another oil thread. Just a general question; looking to see if others have the same experience.

Just did my second oil change on my 370Z with the recommended Nissan Ester Oil in single quart bottles from the dealership. When I filled the car, left over in the bottom of the white plastic bottle was what seemed like some extremely fine sediment - so fine it looked like darker almost liquid-y substance. I wish I had taken a picture of it for reference, but I did not. I also do not know if this is normal for other brands of oil since they always sell the oil in dark colored bottles.

Is this normal? Every quart had the same thing at the bottom. Is this the Nissan-patented nano-particles in the oil that settle to the bottom of the container over time? Should I "shake well before filling" the vehicle?

Reference: From motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/912/Revenge-of-the-Nerd--Nissan-in-the-sump-with-diamonds.aspx
Nissan, in their search for improving oil's frictional properties, figured out a way to substitute ultra hard nano particles for the normal chemical friction modifiers adding some interesting molecular twists. Again due to the convoluted nature of Nissan’s white papers and patents, its hard to guess exactly what the nano particles are but they are definitely an ultra hard industrial abrasive or bearing type ceramic and probably at least in part, nano particles of industrial diamond!

Last edited by IAmTheStig; 09-01-2015 at 09:12 AM.
IAmTheStig is offline   Reply With Quote