Thread: CJM Oil Pan
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2015, 09:14 PM   #316 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_ View Post
Got my CJ oil pan today. Thanks phunk for the piece of art work! Now I have to take a crack at getting off the stock oil pan. Last time I tried I couldn't get anything in there to pry it off.
Any recommendations on what kind of gasket to use when putting it back on?
I use permatex Ultra-Gray for oil pans. Get the stock upper pan surface totally clean. Sometimes like a scotch pad or other light abrasive can be really useful for that, along with some brake cleaner for the residue.

With the new sealant I put a small bead all the way around and then use my finger tip to spread it to the entire contact surface area a rather thin coat - it doesnt take much and all the extra will squeeze out when tightening... but you do want to make surface the entire contact area has at least some coverage to be safe.

Just before lifting the pan up, I would use a q-tip or small tool to extract most of the sealant that I can from the bolt holes... this will prevent too much of the sealant getting into the threads which can be troublesome and cause over-torqueing as it lubricates the threads.

Go light on the oil drain plug... its just aluminum threads so it will not withstand over-torqueing too much. I can try and come up with a torque spec for it with some more testing but most people just do it be feel anyway.