View Single Post
Old 07-08-2015, 09:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
jpkirk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '14 MidBlu ST MT
jpkirk has a reputation beyond reputejpkirk has a reputation beyond reputejpkirk has a reputation beyond reputejpkirk has a reputation beyond reputejpkirk has a reputation beyond reputejpkirk has a reputation beyond reputejpkirk has a reputation beyond reputejpkirk has a reputation beyond reputejpkirk has a reputation beyond reputejpkirk has a reputation beyond reputejpkirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by STICK_SHIFT View Post
But I thought that a lot of folks who end up tracking their cars replace the LSD from the Sport Pack, upgrade the brakes, and reduce their wheels down a size to save on tire cost?
I have a different perspective. The lack of the synchro rev match (SRM) was a show stopper for me in the base model. I have a problem with my right ankle that limits my ability to flex it in the direction needed for heel/toe downshifts. SRM rocks.

Also, while the cost of the 19" tires is more, the performance of the lower profile tire is also more. The bigger, wider tires (1 inch wider on all four corners) results in higher cornering forces. However you do get a couple more pounds of unsprung weight with the bigger wheels and tires.

I am running in SCCA Solo (autocross) Street class. So while the VLSD will wear, the rules will not permit me to swap it and remain in the Street class. I will have to replace it when it wears or jump up a class (and significant mod cost). If I were to do that I would replace the VLSD with a Wavetrac. So, if you started autocross with a base model I don't think the rules would permit an upgrade to LSD without a class jump.

All that said, the money generally is not a problem for me, except as noted for racing in a higher class. I am old (59) and well established. If you are young and still making your way to being well established then sure, the base is an excellent start. The only thing it would be hard to get in an upgrade is SRM. If you go auto it is a moot point. The auto has SRM down shift for the base and sport.

Don't let the MT wieners tell you that men ONLY use manual transmissions. The auto trans shifts faster than you can with a manual. If you want to be fast get the auto. If you want to row your own gears get the manual. It is as simple as that. I wanted to row my own gears ... um ... and be fast Oh well eh?

intake | exhaust | wheels | tires | suspension ... um ... stock, do speed stickers count?
intake | exhaust | TE37 SL | RE-11 | suspension ... um ... do speed stickers count? Signature under construction
jpkirk is offline   Reply With Quote