View Single Post
Old 05-31-2015, 11:24 AM   #828 (permalink)
VinceThe1
Base Member

Drives: '12 Z34 SR 6MT T/S/N
VinceThe1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFart View Post
While some of what you state is true, I take offense to your first sentence - prior to the big wheel becoming the norm in pro touring and 15+" rims in large widths not being available, unless you had $5K to drop on a set(2) of wheels you had to figure out alternative ways to get what you want.

I took a 18"x8" with a 3.5" backspaceing alloy rim, after much searching found Weldcraft wheels that would widen it for me, they added a 7" barrel to the rim to make a 18"x15" wheel. The wheel is guaranteed and when balanced needed only .25 oz of weight to be true with a 31"x18.5" radial tire.
Back in 2006, it was the widest and largest diameter rim they had done.

So before you spout off about us crazies doing it, do a little research, it can be done and safely... In regards to the crazy comment, it took me 3 weeks to hand polish from a 60grit finish to the final polish you seen in the pictures...

Haha, no offense man...but racing is expencive, especially if you're funding yourself, without a sponsor. I understand that it can be done and that people do it (and in your case the offset became negative instead of more positive as the drum was welded to the front part of the wheel, not the rear) but this is a case where in 2006, as you said, wasn't easy to find a 18x15 wheel (or impossible), you had to do what you had to do...

By "crazy" i hope you underatand what I mean, and that is anyone fully dedicated to something becomes "crazy" for that particular thing.
VinceThe1 is offline   Reply With Quote