View Single Post
Old 05-26-2015, 02:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
bullitt5897
Premium Member

Drives: Twin Turbo Z34
bullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
Everyone knows that the stock VHR oil pump gears blow out with elevated engine speeds. This is especially concerning for me personally as I am building a high RPM VHR/HR-head competition engine as a back-burner project for my 370z. I would like to spin to 8000-8250 for regular use and 8500-9000 for occasional use at the track.

I have reached out to a manufacturer of billet oil pump gears about producing a VHR gear set for CJ Motorsports. Their oil pump gears are considered almost mandatory for upgraded and modified Coyote V8s, which as a new Mustang owner, is how I learned of this manufacturer.

They will put into production VHR oil pump gears with an initial order of 15 sets. I would like to try and find 10 buyers interested.

The price would be $395 plus shipping.

In my investigations, I found that the Mustang world went through of phase of trying to cyro-treat the stock oil pump gears. It looks like this was found to either generate no improvement, or questionably even worsen the situation. But I have been unable to find any accounts of billet gears failing in the community... So I asked the manufacturer their failure rate of the billet gears, and they replied that to their knowledge the billet gears have never broken yet, with some of their race engines spinning to 10,000rpm at 2000+hp.

Also, aside from the oil pump gears, I want produce a steel backing plate for the oil pump. This will add to rigidity and can reduce flex in the oil pump housing resulting in improved flow, pressure, and reduce the likeliness of pump gear binding. This is a practice I also learned of in the Mustang scene, as Ford elected to do this for the 2013 GT500s.

As for pricing on the backing plate, I do not have a solid figure yet - but we are talking about under $200. I will figure out the backing plate if we get enough interest to put the gears into production.

Let me know what you guys think!
I would be interested in atleast 1 whole kit and maybe two depending on price. I left you a voice mail by the way.
Shop Cars: 2013 318whp Nismo VspecII 370z *SOLD*, 2009 1000hp+ 93oct 4.0L TT 370z Fast Intentions STAGE 4 #054
bullitt5897 is offline   Reply With Quote