View Single Post
Old 12-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #92 (permalink)
thangcu35
Base Member

Drives: '12 Sport/Tour/Nav
thangcu35 has a reputation beyond reputethangcu35 has a reputation beyond reputethangcu35 has a reputation beyond reputethangcu35 has a reputation beyond reputethangcu35 has a reputation beyond reputethangcu35 has a reputation beyond reputethangcu35 has a reputation beyond reputethangcu35 has a reputation beyond reputethangcu35 has a reputation beyond reputethangcu35 has a reputation beyond reputethangcu35 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandersd View Post
Great job! Just curious, have you done a cost comparison vs buying a prefabbed kit? As a fellow DIYer I know nothing can compare to the satisfaction and attention to detail you get when doing it yourself, and you did an outstanding job, but would you do it again or just buy a kit?

Beautiful welds, btw. I'm jealous...
I MAY have considered going BP's single turbo setup but with Comp's oil-less turbo. I didn't want to drop the motor or transmission to install the turbos and relocate wires and hoses, and I can't imagine servicing them would be any easier. I think the only reason why I went with twin is because of better boost response and higher efficiency overall, plus I may have been the first 370z with the turbos where they are. Cost wise, it came out to be about the same as BP's kit (without uprev, clutch, exhaust etc). I used top of the line products and materials and with each turbo costing $1650 did not help the budget at all. If I had a car lift and a better workshop, I wouldn't mind create some pre turbo down-pipes for other DIY'ers out there trying to do their own turbo kits.

I used a temporary boost gauge up and found that my max boost is only 7.5-8psi. It sure pulls harder than I thought though. I'm going to adjust the wastegate actuator rod and bring it to 10psi. Dyno tuning is on my list of things to do before New Year (hint hint).

On a fun account, my friend with a built G35 using Greddy TT and Haltech EMS requested my help in retuning his car to run pump gas. I initially tuned it on E85 in October and it made a hefty 696whp @19psi. Today I tuned it for 11psi daily driving on pump 93 and we went for a little "spirited" drive. Not sure on numbers but it did put a smile on my face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOXP...ature=youtu.be
thangcu35 is offline   Reply With Quote