View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #47 (permalink)
FairmanZ
Base Member

Drives: Z34 future owner
FairmanZ will become famous soon enough

OK, thought I’d add my test drive experience to the mix.

My background comes from lightweight sports cars (Miata, FD RX-7, E36 BMW M3) and mid sized luxury sports sedans (BMW 5 series, Mercedes E-class). I had read the rave reviews on the new Z, saw it in person in Tokyo, but never had a test drive until yesterday.

The car was a platinum graphite base with sport package and 6spd MT. Driving ergonomics seemed perfect, everything felt very driver oriented. The first thing I noticed though was the tiny rear view visibility. The rear window itself is huge, but the angle is so raked that the window opening looks like a little slit. Other than that, the cockpit was great, time to hit the road.

The biggest impression was how solid the car felt. Very old school Mercedes like in that it felt like one carved block of steel. The ride quality was similar to that of a BMW. In fact, it felt very similar ride wise to the 135i I test drove a few months ago. It also felt about as heavy as the 1 series BMW. In second gear, I punched it and the car rushed forward with a very linear feel. To be honest, the torque wasn’t as strong as I thought it might feel, but then I was being gentle as the car was brand new. The acceleration feeling from by butt dyno again felt similar to the 135i. I had driven an E46 M3 before and expected a similar feel from the new Z, but acceleration wise it felt more 135i than M3.

Next we hit a nice set of very tight curves, now the fun really began. Downshift from 3rd to 2nd, hear the engine roar as it blips the throttle, SynchroRev match in action. Way Cool!!! From that point on I kept downshifting just for the fun of it. The curves is where this car will pull away from the 135i IMHO. Where the BMW is setup as luxury sports coupe, the Z is pure sports car. The handling and grip felt outstanding, especially for a car of its weight. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to go on any rough roads. So I don’t know how harsh the ride will be on poor surfaces.

So far so good. Is it fast? Check. Handles great? Check.

The last thing I really wanted to check out was the exhaust note. I had heard both good and bad about the engine noises. My take, with the windows down the exhaust has a nice bark. It really starts to sing in the upper revs. With the windows closed, it’s one very quiet car. Although downshift with SynchroRev will produce music to my ears even with the windows closed.

After the test drive, I was sold. I love the looks and the way the profile harkens back to the original 240Z. Bang for ones buck, I don’t think I can find a better sports car. The one thing that was holding me back was the weight of this car. Coming from lightweight sports cars, I have been saving for a Cayman S. Although I have the money for the Porsche, don’t feel like spending it now given the crappy economy. Then along came the new Z, it seems almost perfect for me. The test drive even made me forget about the GT-R that was sitting in the showroom that almost stole my heart.

I now intend to buy this car one day. I'd like to wait for a 2010 model to make sure any bugs are worked out, but I don't know if I can wait that long. Bottom line, I think the new 370Z is a phenomenal sports car for its price.
FairmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote