Thread: Looking to buy
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 06:06 AM   #33 (permalink)
370Zsteve
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 Corvette G.S.
370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectnobody View Post
hi guys, i am a New Jersey resident and i wanted to know whats been your experience buying out of state with regards to paper work and stuff.

is it easier to just buy within the state you reside in, or is there no difference if lets say i buy in another state (lets say NY or PA). i only ask because, i want to be able to go to a dealer, give him all my info, come back in couple of days and pick up the car with title, license plate and everything done. (i'll take care of insurance myself, of course) but was wondering what are the realistic expectations i should have concerning paperwork.

if these services are not offered by dealerships, let me know as well, or if there are hidden fees, or if its actually just easier to get all this done myself.

thanks!
If you buy in your home state, the dealer will do everything for you (for a fee, of course). If you buy out-of-state, you will get a temp registration from that state so you can drive the vehicle home. Then, you can go and spend some quality time with your local friendly DMV clerk.

And if you bought in-state, your dealer can give you a temp registration and plates. A new registration will arrive in the mail in a few days. (At least in CT). If you have mandatory insurance laws (doesn't everybody at this point?) and you give your agent the VIN, they can fax an insurance card to the dealer and you'll drive off the lot the same day.

Last edited by 370Zsteve; 11-26-2009 at 06:09 AM.
370Zsteve is offline   Reply With Quote