View Single Post
Old 09-11-2014, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
newtothe370
Base Member

Drives: a golf cart
newtothe370 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to newtothe370
Default Washer Exhaust Scam!

So long story short, after owning my Z for a month and doing research on forums like this one for many more months before that, I started to mod my Z, like anyone else would. My first mod choice was the exhaust. After seeing the hefty price tag on name brand test pipes, i took my *** to ebay and found a really good set for 110 with free shipping and hardware (the bolts were not the right size but a trip to home depot fixed that) (in total around 125). Basically, the test pipes are great and i love the raw gas smell but it has a raspy tone to it. Im trying to conserve my funds since i am a college student so I decided to fix my exhaust woes and try the washer method. I took off the gasket from y-pipe, put ONE washer on each side (not the recommended 4 lol) and refitted the pipe on. I didn't even drive a quarter-mile and I made a u-turn and went back to get the washer off. I lost nearly all my back pressure and my 0-60 felt 2 seconds longer. ALSO, the noise is incredibly loud! if you really want attention and don't care about performance than these mods are for you.

I never tried the washer mod with the stock cats on, but in my experience, with test pipes this is a must avoid mod. if you like back pressure this mod is not for you. I learned the hard way its better to throw a hefty chunk of change to get something good rather then find a quick and cheap solution which never works out how you want it too.

You probably already knew this but i blew 30 bucks and a hour trying this mod out so i had a bit of rage built up when it came out louder than a straight piped diesel truck and WAY slower than i was expecting, considering it was a 1cm leak in my exhaust.
newtothe370 is offline   Reply With Quote