View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #26 (permalink)
tsui_san
Base Member

Drives: 07 G35S Sedan
tsui_san is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by future370zzz View Post
Yeah, California sucks for aftermarket mods. I see where you are coming from with CARB.

Don't know what your numbers are with the 8psi kit but if you're close to 400whp the car will still be fun to drive.

The stock cats will push the psi up which will bring up the engine temps and may cause the engine to blow if you push it too hard with the 9psi pulley and impeller upgrade. It has happen to a few. Just have to be ready to re-build the motor if you go with the power upgrades.

1 psi could pickup maybe 10-20whp/trq. Would need the pulley, install and re-tune. Could cost you $1K. Maybe ask Aaron how much power you could pickup from increasing to 9psi pulley. You will not be running at 9psi every minute you drive. Just have to be diligent about not mashing on it all the time but that can be a challenge.
Thanks for the feedback, very helpful. I do recall talking to Rob about adding the 9lb pulley and him mentioning only to do that with test pipes (he was probably referring to you haha). My power numbers are much better than stock (382hp/289wtq, previously 276hp/216tq) which is not "great" by this board's standards but it definitely is pretty fun when some punk Mustang/Lexus/M3 starts tailing me on 280/101...they learn quickly that it's pretty hard to keep up. I'd love to increase the power but definitely not at the expense of flexibility (e.g. mashing the pedal whenever I want), safety, and CARB. If there were more race gas available in the Bay Area (only 4 stations in South Bay/East Bay combined) I'd get the pulley in a heartbeat...it's a damn shame with these smog laws.
tsui_san is offline   Reply With Quote