View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #38 (permalink)
Jordo!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

Provided you aren't in a hat-in-hand, I need a car today situation (and I have been there most of my life...), the number one thing to remember is: If you walk out and "lose" the car, you will find another.

The number two thing to remember is that whatever price you arrive at, they made money, so do not feel any guilt to offer a "fair price". Trust me, no salesman will.

Well, "fair" for them, but maybe not so "fair" for you -- "fair" is a relative state. But you owe them nothing and they owe you nothing, and whatever you pay, the car is worth less the instant you drive away...

Fight for the price you can live with or walk out. That can be surprisingly stressful, but bear in mind YOU are the person with the power here. Put the stress on them to sell, not on yourself to buy.

If it's a sucker deal, let them hook another sucker.

And yes, traveling a good bit (I'd say be willing to drive up to at least 100 miles), comparing and contrasting between dealerships, etc are all tactics at your disposal.