View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
grandpawmoses
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: a hard bargain
grandpawmoses has a reputation beyond reputegrandpawmoses has a reputation beyond reputegrandpawmoses has a reputation beyond reputegrandpawmoses has a reputation beyond reputegrandpawmoses has a reputation beyond reputegrandpawmoses has a reputation beyond reputegrandpawmoses has a reputation beyond reputegrandpawmoses has a reputation beyond reputegrandpawmoses has a reputation beyond reputegrandpawmoses has a reputation beyond reputegrandpawmoses has a reputation beyond repute

As kenchan says, you're not going to get around paying destination, doc, & tax.
But there does seem to be a growing lost art to negotiating the final price in buying a car. Window sticker is retail price while the invoice price the dealer paid is much lower, 5~10% lower, maybe more. Then there is the dealers "kick-back" money he gets from the factory just to keep as much inventory on his lot and not on theirs. Sometimes factories offer rebates but Nissan rarely offers such or cheap financing on the Z models. Supply and demand is everything and "end of the year" discounts are possible when the new year models come out.
I know I'm preaching to the choir here but I've bought many new cars in my time and I've never paid close to retail, even my "out the door" prices were well below sticker. I've made sincere offers only to be giggled at and told no way, walked out, and got home with the phone ringing to come back. I've walked out of two dealerships and had the same offer accepted by a third. I will admit that the more popular the car the tougher it is to get a good deal but if you search this forum you'll read about people getting great deals anyway. I never make the first offer and if you have to trade something in, the internet will let you arm yourself with its trade in value. If I negotiate for and hour and only save $500, I figure I got paid well for my time. Oh, when a dealer adds his extras to the sticker, go somewhere else.

Last edited by grandpawmoses; 08-14-2014 at 03:04 PM.
grandpawmoses is offline   Reply With Quote