View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 02:20 AM   #40 (permalink)
synolimit
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Silver 370z
synolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGTV8 View Post
There are 3 types of spacer:
1. Spacers that come with their own studs - use the OEM studs tro snug-down the spacer to the hub, then use the studs on the spacer to fit the wheel to the spacer. Porblem with these is that "if" the nuts securing the spacer to the OEM studs come loose, you can lose a wheel worst case, or get a bad vibration at best.

2. Spacers that are not fixed to the hub at all - there is a photo earlier in this thread showing such a spacer on one of the Doran Z34 race cars

3. My style of spacer ... spacer does not have additional studs ... simply fit the spacer to the hub over the extended studs, and use lug nuts to secure the spacer to the hub via the extended length studs (ARP 75mm long in my case), then put the wheel on and use another set of lug nuts to secure the wheel to the same stud that secures the spacer to the hub. If the spacer nuts come loose, then the wheel cannot come adrift .....

Sorry, but I don;t have any photos, and a picture would be worth 1000 words in this circumstance.

Hope this helps clarify my original post.

If you do not have extended studs, then you will have to use option 1 or 2 above.
If you use lock tight and torque the bolt on spacer tighter than the wheel, in my case 100lbs, it will never come off. That'd be like saying all wheels just secured with lugs nuts could fall off. It just doesn't happen.