View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 10:28 PM   #78 (permalink)
juld0zer
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 11 Nissan 370Z MB M6
juld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Tam I am View Post
15,000 miles between oil changes can not be right.
that sounds about right for a late model BMW. They don't go by mileage or time intervals but a Condition Based Service scheme. Basically the onboard computer tells the driver what it needs so depending on your driving style, 15k miles might be possible but it is at the high end of the mileage range for CBS. When the driver presents the key at the BMW dealer, the dealer scans the key and retrieves the service data and that determines what maintenance is required at that point. At least our cars have a dipstick!
Also, of all the 135's, 335's and 535's i've driven, i'm yet to drive one that behaves differently when the oil/water/air is 'hot'. This is with a/c on too

Without sparking another oil debate, i'd say if the oil you use meets the extended service interval requirements of a major OEM then it should be good enough to serve in our car. eg. BMW LL01 (LL04 is for the diesels)
juld0zer is offline   Reply With Quote