View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 03:57 AM   #22 (permalink)
370Zsteve
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 Corvette G.S.
370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
Ah yes, the beautiful simplicity of the the rotary 13B engine - 3 moving parts - the 2 rotors and the crank shaft, compared to the mighty V6 with 6 pots, 24 valves, chains to synchronise the timing between valves and crank, and other stuff. Ah, the glory of it, the effortlessness and purity of the wankel design... until the we hit the real world...ker thump...

The downside of the smooth power of the wankel design is that it is essentially a two stroke design and at 1.3 litres.. yeah yeah I know of the 20B 3 rotor racing engine and so forth...try getting those emissions past the Governator (damn, am going to go hunting later for a youtube vid of the wankel motor, its truly an enginerring marvel AND a curse...ever wonder why Mazda is the only major m'facturer to persist with it <ignoring patents etc ?>)

Anyway it sucks oil as it needs to lubricate the three apex seals of the rotor while operating (I had mine upgraded from 2mm to 3mm apex racing seals to cope with the extra turbo boost).

But its all good. Diversity in design breeds best of for us all to enjoy.

The Z motor is awesome for producing 245KW out of a 3.7 litre naturally apsirated V6...holy crap ..my old Jensen Interceptor III 440 cu inch Chrysler donk (>7 litres , my friends) could just barely crank out the same power. But thats what science and engineering can do in 30 years....

(pics coming...)
Right on, man. 13B rotary? Try 12A, my friend. Remember, this is coming from an old RX-3 owner

The apex seals on my RX-3 gave up the ghost at about 45k of spirited driving (no track).

The RX-7 (2nd gen) and RX-8 are great cars with a great engine. In the real world!

As for the Nissan 3.7L V-6..all I can say is I used to think my old Alfa GTV-6 was baddass. That's what decades of technology will do for you.