View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #24 (permalink)
MacCool
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z PW 2014
MacCool has a spectacular aura aboutMacCool has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjSquall View Post
I guess I should've mentioned that I do have a trickle charger. I usually put it on for the last week of winter storage. So from what I gathered, it would be best to leave it hooked up for te duration of the year. I'm that case, I'll use the old battery (there's nothing actually wrong with it, I'm only mentioning replacement due to it's age)
Trickle charger is different than a float charger. As the term is commonly used, a trickle charger provides a continuous charge at low amperage. A float charger will sense when the battery is charged and stop charging, will re-start charging if the charge state drops. It continually monitors the charge state.

Leaving a battery on a trickle charger risks boiling off the electrolyte. In that case, the best thing that could happen is that it ruins the battery. The worst thing would be a case rupture and possibly an explosion.

It's safe to leave a float charger like Battery Tender on a battery during extended storage. In fact, it's smart. Leaving a trickle charger on it is dangerous.
MacCool is offline   Reply With Quote