View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #76 (permalink)
Brandon26pdx
Base Member

Drives: 08 350Z
Brandon26pdx is on a distinguished road

I tried out a yellow 09 touring last week. Had 6mt but no sport package so unfortunately didnt get to see the Syncro-RevMatch in action (They didnt have a 6mt/sport on the lot)

Coming out of my 08 6mt the car's controls felt eerily similar so it was a snap to jump into and drive off in without hiccups. (The first time I drove a manual 350Z was pretty hilarious...these cars have much touchier controls than average.) The clutch engagement was much more abrubt than my car, but a lot of that probably had to do with the fact that it had 8 miles on it The pedal was definitely not any lighter than in my car though...if anything a tick heavier. The transmission felt very similar but seemed to shift smoother into 2nd than my car does, but maybe I just got a notchy transmission and this one was unusually smooth...hard to say on that. I didn't get to get on it much but I goosed it once in 2nd gear at about 3500 rpms...definitely more thrust at throttle tip-in with this engine, and noticably louder compared to my car, which can be good or bad. I like loud when it's a good loud...I liked it. Not as sophisticated as, say, the blatt of a Porsche flat-6 or as awsome as the roar of an Aston Martin V12, but not nearly as dissapointing as it's been made out to be. I liked the engine sound better than my car.

The interior on a 370Z touring is pretty exciting compared to my base 350Z. The materials seem much higher quality...borderline luxurious compared to a 350Z. Doors close with a more reassuring "thunk". Alcantara seat/door inserts and keyless push-button start are hot. Leather on the seats was soft and not at all cheap feeling (ie. light years better than cheapass feeling leather you get in a Honda) The guage cluster has less of a low rent feel to it. The digital fuel level gauge was probably trying a little too hard, but it's interesting and colorful to look at nonetheless. You sit much lower in the car compared to the 350, so it's more difficult to see over the hood if you're vertically challenged When I got back in my car I felt like I was sitting on the roof, which is really saying something, considering you already feel like you're sitting in a bathtub in a 350Z a little bit!

The only thing about the exterior styling I though was a swing and a miss was the sideview mirrors. Big. Gaudy. Not nearly as attractive as the svelte 350Z mirrors. Otherwise the exterior is much more grabbing to look at IMO. The 370 will turn heads than might not have noticed a 350 and as well as *almost* any P-car.

Overall, easily the best true sports car you can buy for the money now. A 2010 Cayman S is better. A 2010 Corvette with Grand Touring package is (probably) better (havent driven one). But, those cost $20-30k more. All depends on what you're comfortable and able to spend on a car.

Last edited by Brandon26pdx; 11-13-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Brandon26pdx is offline   Reply With Quote