View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #33 (permalink)
Juan@Fontana
Enthusiast Member

Drives: Z32
Juan@Fontana has a reputation beyond reputeJuan@Fontana has a reputation beyond reputeJuan@Fontana has a reputation beyond reputeJuan@Fontana has a reputation beyond reputeJuan@Fontana has a reputation beyond reputeJuan@Fontana has a reputation beyond reputeJuan@Fontana has a reputation beyond reputeJuan@Fontana has a reputation beyond reputeJuan@Fontana has a reputation beyond reputeJuan@Fontana has a reputation beyond reputeJuan@Fontana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalapagas View Post
Soo just to be on the clear quaife only delivers through one tire while the other rear tire is just dangling not puting power down?? Sorry this whole thing of diff and gears scrambles my head hahahahahaha. So you can get a basis my car is a DD, No track, Ocasional Drag. Also I plan on doing it on a 350Z Diff manual base model to my 370z. I plan on doing the 4.08 gears and just for the benifit of the doubt 4.08 gears are shorter or longer???? Since I plan on adding a big punch to this combo.
Let me explain I know Mechanical differentials can be a bit confusing I'll try my best to explain.

Open Differentials (Non LSD) work by transfering power to the tire with the least resistance. (Ex: park with half your car on dirt and half on asphalt, do a burnout and the tire sitting on the dirt will spin, if you turn 180* around and have the opposite tire touching the dirt and try again you'll notice the tire that is touching the dirt will always be the one to spin)

a Quaife differential works the opposite. it delivers power evenly or to whatever tire has the most traction. so say you are drag racing it splits the power evenly amongst both tires until one starts to slip then it starts to deliver more power to the tire with traction. (Ie you park half your car on dirt and half on asphalt, it'll burn out with the tire on the asphalt, then if you turn around 180* and do it again it'll still burn out with the tire touching the asphalt)

to answer your Question, for Final drives, the bigger the number the shorter the gearing. so 3.692 is longer final drive than 4.083

-Juan
Juan@Fontana is offline   Reply With Quote