View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #7800 (permalink)
Fountainhead
Track Member

Drives: 2019 Civic Type R
Fountainhead has much to be proud ofFountainhead has much to be proud ofFountainhead has much to be proud ofFountainhead has much to be proud ofFountainhead has much to be proud ofFountainhead has much to be proud ofFountainhead has much to be proud ofFountainhead has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
are you talking about the dials on the dash?
mang, i am full of confusion today.

for intermittent electric contacts, i use WD40. it's a trick i found back in the early 80's when my 1/4" instrument cables would make static/scratchy noise when i rotated them in the jacks. wiped the jack clean with WD40 on a paper towel, walla. no more scratchy noise. same goes for volume pots, dials, etc.
Yeah the dial controls (rotary knobs) on the dash. I would be OK with WD40 in a pinch but prefer purpose built chemicals for long term reliability. We used to put Cramolin on our mixer board sliders, worked great. WD-40 is a cleaner that acts like a lubricant, it would be OK on mechanical connectors but not in an electromechanical device like a slide pot or rotary encoder/volume control. I have no experience using WD40 in the way you describe, might be OK for 1/4" plugs, XLR, Neutrik, etc.