View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #7793 (permalink)
kenchan
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N/A
kenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainhead View Post
Oooh! For the last few months, my '09 knobs have been erratic, the encoders weren't being reliably read by my radio (bose navi) and it was very irritating. So today at lunch I gently pulled the knobs off all 4 controls (they were all intermittently being read when rotated), and sprayed Cramolin Red, rotated them a few times (I sprayed them at the border of the potentiomer/encoder assy aluminum plate/plastic body, I bent my red spray tube down slightly). They now work flawlessly.
I recommend this for anyone who has an out of warranty car. Don't use just any old tuner cleaner, use something that cleans, lubricates, and leaves a protective coating. Many "cleaner" products for electronics washes off the factory lubricant and really screws them up.
are you talking about the dials on the dash?
mang, i am full of confusion today.

for intermittent electric contacts, i use WD40. it's a trick i found back in the early 80's when my 1/4" instrument cables would make static/scratchy noise when i rotated them in the jacks. wiped the jack clean with WD40 on a paper towel, walla. no more scratchy noise. same goes for volume pots, dials, etc.